Inside Dell Latitude 15 5520 – disassembly and upgrade options
A business laptop should be fluent in a lot of different tasks in order to in full service to its owner. Upgradability is definitely one of the most important of them.
Dell Latitude 5520
- Intel Core i5-1135G7
- Intel Iris Xe Graphics G7 (80EU)
- 8GB RAM
- 256GB SSD
1. Remove the bottom plate
Accessing this laptop’s internals is extremely easy. You just need to undo 8 captive Phillips-head screws, and then pry the bottom panel with a plastic tool.
After you get inside, you will see the battery pack. Our unit has a 63Wh capacity, while some configurations will include a smaller 42Wh battery.
3. Мemory and storage
In terms of memory, there are two SODIMM slots, which support up to 64GB of dual-channel RAM in total. Storage-wise, you get two M.2 PCIe x4 slots, with that one labeled with number 2 supporting PCIe Gen 4 drives.
4. Cooling system
As for the cooling, there are two rather long heat pipes, connected to a side-mounted heat spreader. The tough job of getting the heat dissipated is done by the fan, which is not that big in diameter but has a pretty thick profile.
Dell Latitude 15 5520 in-depth review
Thanks to the Tiger Lake processor lineup of Intel, the business notebooks all around the brands were basically supercharged compared to their predecessors. One of these laptops is undoubtedly the Dell Latitude 15 5520. In addition to the new chipset, you get a mild redesign, with nature being in the middle of the build materials. This year, Dell utilizes up to 21% of bioplastics, derived from a papermaking byproduct, for its entire Latitude 5000 series. Regardless of the quality of the device, we will always encourage and compliment companies that are making an effort to preserve the plan[...]
- Wide I/O, which includes a MicroSD card reader
- Two M.2 storage slots, one of which runs at 4.0 speeds + 2x RAM SODIMM slots
- Fingerprint reader embedded in the power button + optional IR face recognition
- Wi-Fi 6, PCIe x4, Thunderbolt 4
- Doesn't use PWM for brightness adjustment (AUO 5NG4M-B156HAN)
- Comfortable keyboard with a backlight
- Good battery life
- Covers only 53% of sRGB (AUO 5NG4M-B156HAN)
- Drops the dedicated touchpad buttons and the trackpoint