This year, the Nitro 5 comes in a ton of different configurations. This one is the 15-inch model and it comes equipped with an AMD processor and an NVIDIA Ampere graphics card. Ultimately, one of the strongest points of the notebook is its upgradeability.
1. Remove the bottom plate
To take this laptop apart, you need to undo 11 Phillips-head screws. After that, pry the bottom panel with a plastic tool, and carefully remove it from the chassis.
Once inside, you will see a 57.5Wh battery pack.
3. Мemory and storage
In terms of memory, there are two SODIMM slots. This allows you to fit up to 64GB of DDR4 memory in dual-channel mode. As for the storage, you get two M.2 slots. One supports both PCIe and SATA drives, while the other only fits PCIe SSDs. Additionally, there is a 2.5-inch SATA drive bay, and the connector is included inside the box.
4. Cooling system
Lastly, there is the cooling. You get a total of three heat pipes, two fans, and four heat sinks. In addition, the VRMs and the graphics memory are all cooled by metal heat spreaders.
Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-45) in-depth review
The choice of budget gaming laptops nowadays is pretty much limitless. But before you search for any device you have to pick between Intel and AMD. And since we've already covered the Intel version of the Nitro 5, it is time to show you how the AMD model fairs against the competition in this class.Even though it is an affordable offering, the Nitro 5 (AN515-45) can go as high as the Ryzen 9 5900HX, and the RTX 3080 with 100W of TGP. Obviously, this option will cost you an arm and a leg, but[...]Read the full review
- Great price/performance ratio
- Decent keyboard with an optional RGB backlight
- Fast-paced display options
- Two M.2 slots + 2.5-inch SATA (connector and screws included inside the box)
- The display doesn't flicker at any brightness level (Innolux N156HRA-EA1 (CMN1521))
- Cool internals and externals
- Lacks an SD card reader and Thunderbolt support
- Covers only half of sRGB (Innolux N156HRA-EA1 (CMN1521))
- Slow pixel response times (Innolux N156HRA-EA1 (CMN1521))